Skip to main content

How it all started...

Thank you for taking the time to stop by and take a look at this site.

My name is Jill Webb and back in the early 80s I decided to put together my own fanzine, which I named Kindred Spirit.

Just over a year ago whilst I was having one of my wanders down memory lane online I stumbled across a site called Hull Music Archive. The site has been put together to tie in with Hull being the City of Culture in 2017 and it is a gold mine of information. And it was whilst I was digging my way through this little treasure trove that I was both surprised and pleased when I found a reference to Kindred Spirit.

This got me thinking that perhaps I too  should contribute something  in my own small way to the whole City of Culture thing ... hence the reason for this website.

The idea of  creating my own fanzine started germinating  back in the summer of 1983. The original aim behind it was to provide an outlet for budding poets like I considered myself to be at that time (debatable!!) I remember starting the ball rolling by placing a classified ad in the NME briefly explaining what I was trying to do and asking for like minded people to send me their poetry for possible inclusion in the fanzine. 

Everything was done via snail mail in those days and I am not exaggerating when I say I was inundated with letters containing pieces of poetry dropping through my letterbox over the weeks that followed. I was amazed and a little overwhelmed by the response, but immediately set to work reading through each and every one of the poems sent to me before picking out the ones that I liked the best.

Once I’d decided what was going to be included I started burning the midnight oil putting together the first edition of Kindred Spirit, using my portable typewriter - with a good supply of Tipp-Ex at the ready. All the artwork was done by hand.

I had almost got the first issue ready to go to print when I heard of an upcoming local music event called “Sounds 83” which was due to be held in the grounds of a stately home 10 miles outside of Hull called Burton Constable Hall. And it was whilst stood there in the audience that I decided to dig in my bag for a pen and a scrap of paper so I could jot down some notes about what was going on in front of me. As soon as I got home I wrote my own review of the whole thing.

The following week I went along to watch a Killing Joke gig at the Spring Street Theatre in Hull (the site of the former Hull Truck Theatre) where I got the urge to write another review. That’s when I decided that perhaps if I interspersed the poetry with band/gig reviews and interviews it would invariably broaden the appeal of Kindred Spirit to a wider audience.

Things kind of evolved from that point on and I went on to publish four issues of Kindred Spirit, until life got in the way and I had to stop.

Over the coming months I will be publishing a selection of band reviews and poetry and all of the amateurish interviews me and my trusty band of friends somehow or the other managed to talk our way into doing with bands of all genres. Some you may have heard of and some you may not. They will all be included.

If you or anyone you know were part of a band who we reviewed or interviewed back in the day, or were involved in any way it would be great to hear from you.

You can follow me on Twitter for updates.



Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The Jam Online Scrapbook Six

Welcome to the sixth online scrapbook about The Jam.  When I put together scrapbook number one early in 2021 I genuinely did not think it would take on such a life of its own! I can’t believe how much memorabilia there is out there and how many interesting stories there are to tell. There are some fantastic pieces included in this post. I hope you will enjoy.  The first item is something incredibly special. In fact, it is so special I would even go so far as to say I feel privileged to be able to include it. When I ran a Twitter poll a while ago to find out what people’s favourite Sound Affects track was, the outright winner was a song considered by many to be the finest song lyrically Paul Weller has written in his entire career. I am of course referring to That’s Entertainment. Even people who aren’t too familiar with The Jam know this song. It is a poetic masterpiece. A montage of images… a snapshot of 80s Britain. The story of how Paul wrote That’s Entertainment in ten minutes afte

Paul Weller, The Jam and Riot Stories

It is a known fact among people close to me and those who follow me on Twitter that I am a lifelong fan of The Jam/Paul Weller. I have enjoyed listening to many bands and artists over the years but in my opinion there are few songwriters who have the ability to speak to their listeners through their lyrics the way Paul Weller does. He is a poet and a songwriter in a class of his own. He was also the inspiration for me starting a fanzine back in 1983, although the seeds of the idea started germinating quite a few years earlier. Originally I planned to simply tell the story of how Paul came to be the driving force behind me starting Kindred Spirit, but things took on a life of their own when I had the good fortune to make a connection on Twitter with Steve Hinders, from the USA . I was absolutely mesmerised by some of the photos and stories Steve shared on Twitter of his time spent touring with The Jam. It was however when he told me he’d had an article published in Paul Weller’s own

The Jam Scrapbook Part One

My November 2020 post about Paul Weller, The Jam and Riot Stories was an incredibly special one for both Steve Hinders and me. As a result of us sharing our stories via this blog and on Twitter we were lucky enough to connect with yet more fellow fans. It wasn't long before a string of amazing Jam-related stories and snippets of memorabilia started landing in my inbox and it became clear a follow up post was called for. In fact to do justice to the treasure trove of information people have been kind enough to share with me I’ve decided to spread the goods over three posts. So here goes… To kick off we’re rewinding the clocks right back to the early days of The Jam for instalment number one of “The Jam Scrapbook”. Enjoy! EARLY DAYS Prior to The Jam having the line-up we all knew and loved they underwent a series of personnel changes. Back in 1973 the line up was Paul Weller on bass, Rick Buckler on drums and Steve Brookes on rhythm/lead guitar.  One of my favourite tracks on ‘In Th